Back Society » Tech » Electronic Components Now Vietnam's #1 Export

Electronic Components Now Vietnam's #1 Export

As electronics companies look for cheaper labor, many are moving their production facilities to Vietnam. Electronics production has grown so quickly that in only 2 years, electronic component exports now surpass all others including textiles, oil and footwear. And this is just the beginning.

Foreign direct investment has facilitated greater production of mobile phones and components. Samsung, which has made huge strides in the country, saw its export value double to $12.7 billion in 2012.

Deputy Prime Minister, Nguyen Thien Nhan, speaking at the 18th Annual World Electronics Forum, said that Vietnam hopes to reach $40 billion in electronics exports by 2017, up from nearly $20 billion in 2012. Electronics exports accounted for 23% of all exports through the first five months of 2013.

But as electronic component exports gain market share, there are numerous challenges that must be addressed. According to Xinhuan,

“Although the sector's export value is high, 90 percent of which was recorded by the foreign direct investment ( FDI) sector while the remaining 10 percent by domestic companies. That required international support in market expansion, human resource training, competitiveness increase and cooperation for development of the support industries and participation in the global value chain, said the VEIA official.”

JP Morgan economists created the chart below to illustrate the growth of Vietnamese electronics exports:


Related Articles

in Tech

‘Flappy Bird’ Maker Ranked One of the World’s Most Influential App Developers

He’s probably sitting in his room, cursing them for it, but Dong Nguyen of ‘Flappy Bird’ fame has made Business Insider’s list of “the world’s 11 most influential people working in apps.”

in Tech

"Fucking Ugly" Websites Plague Vietnam

Design is subjective; ‘good’ design changes by region, city and individual. Design elements that may seem antiquated to one, may be fresh or reinvented by another so we try not to judge - except when ...

in Tech

$1 Billion High-Tech Park Proposed for HCMC

As part of the continuing effort to modernize Vietnam’s workforce, authorities are reviewing a proposal for a massive science and technology park in HCMC.

in Tech

$110m Pledged for Vietnamese Startups

It looks like Vietnamese startups are about to get a boost in funding. The Ministry of Science and Technology has announced a $110 million program called FIRST, designed to breathe financial life into...

in Tech

$189m Plan to Give 300,000 HCMC Students Tablets Draws Criticism

Last week the HCMC Department of Education proposed a plan to equip 300,000 primary students with tablets for the coming school year, reports Thanh Nien. With a pricetag of VND3 million – VND 5 m...

in Tech

'Flappy Bird' Creator To Release New Game Tomorrow

Well, Nguyen Ha Dong, the Vietnamese app developer who at one point was pulling in $55,000 per day, is officially back in the spotlight. After releasing a new version of ‘Flappy Bird’ earlier this mon...

Partner Content